Friday, June 21, 2013

Grand Cayman Mission Trip 2013

As most of you know already, I recently returned from a 10 day mission trip to Grand Cayman Island.  I NEVER would have considered doing anything like this a couple years ago because everything about it was so outside my comfort zone. Thankfully though, I had someone gently pushing me in that direction for a while, and I am SO glad that I finally came around and decided to go. Turns out that even if it’s really hard to see yourself actually doing it, getting outside your comfort zone is one of the BEST things you can do for yourself and for others too.

I don’t know if I have adequate words to describe what my personal experience was like, but I’ll do the best I can.  In short, this trip changed my life for the better.  I experienced a lot of “firsts” during those 10 days: flying on a plane, leaving the country, being away from all members of my family, going door knocking, sitting in on a bible study, etc. I got to meet new people (both on the island and as part of the mission team) and feel very blessed to have so many new friends! I became so much closer with friends I’ve been acquainted with for years but who I’ve never REALLY taken the time to get to know. In doing mission work, I feel that I have a new way of looking at things and a stronger willingness to reach out to others.  

I thought I would share a few of the neat experiences that some of us had relating to the mission work and the people we got to know while we were in Grand Cayman.  First, it’s always wonderful when you invite someone to a gospel meeting and they tell you they’ll try to come if they can, but it’s such a great feeling to actually see them there and to know that their hearts were open to hearing the Word! That happened with several of our groups, and it was great!! I was able to help teach a class of four young children, and they were so very sweet and kept us smiling! We also had the opportunity to attend a youth devotional where we did team building exercises, had good life-application lessons, and played basketball afterward (well, they guys played while the girls watched). Several of us were able to visit a nursing home in Georgetown one afternoon, and it was wonderful to know that their spirits were lifted by our visit (and vice versa).There were so many great speakers (both from the U.S. and the Caribbean) that delivered powerful messages each evening. It was just so wonderful to meet and know everyone at the West Bay and East End congregations!! Going out into the surrounding communities to invite people to the gospel meeting was such a blessing as well, and I hope those that we talked to continue to consider attending services at the congregations there. We planted the seed and can only trust that God will give the increase (1 Cor. 3:6)!

There were quite a few Bible studies conducted while we were there, and I was fortunate enough to be present for one! We talked with a very sweet lady named Audrey. She had told us initially that she would not be able to attend our gospel meeting that night, and this was during our last full day in Grand Cayman. We sat with her for a while and discussed things with her… when it was time for us to leave, she told us she had decided she would come with us! We were elated!! Our group of five got to pick her up in the church van and ride to the church building with her. After the gospel meeting, we took her back home where she shared her family pictures with us. We exchanged numbers/addresses and said our goodbyes. The next day (the day we were leaving the island), I got a phone call from Mrs. Audrey; she wanted to see us again before we left for the U.S.! She actually came to our hotel and we got to talk with her in the lobby before we packed our things to leave! It was so neat to get to know her, and I’m so glad she was able to attend the gospel meeting with us.

In all honesty, returning to “reality” has been a struggle for me. I know I’m driving everyone crazy because I can’t seem to talk about anything else and keep wishing I could go back. I have talked to others who’ve gone on the trip, and their hearts are still in Grand Cayman as well. That’s what trips like this will do for you; they really touch your heart, and you are simply not the same after all is said and done.  I’ll settle back in soon I’m sure, but I believe that everything I took away from the 2013 Grand Cayman Mission Trip will always stay with me, and I’m looking forward to future opportunities like this one!! It is my hope that everyone on the mission team and the residents we got to know at Grand Cayman were as blessed as I have been because of this experience!

I could say so much more and describe everything that happened in detail, but I would literally be writing a book if I did that! I wouldn’t expect you all to stick with my post for that long. J I do want to thank anyone who had even a small role in making this happen for me personally and for the mission team as a whole. Whether it was through monetary contributions, prayers for the mission work, or simple encouragement, it was much appreciated!! If you can’t be a missionary, you can be a supporter of mission work, and that’s just as important!


“Alright team, hands in…. one, two, three, GRAND CAYMAN!!!” :)
 


This is one of my FAVORITE pictures now! It makes me so happy! :)
 
 
Our group picture (minus photographer Chrissy) on the last day.
 
 
The congregation at West Bay Church of Christ. Such wonderful people!!


1 comment:

  1. Oops... I forgot that Tom Hall is missing from the middle picture too! He had to leave a few days early so he didn't get in on the group shot.

    ReplyDelete